Monday, March 1, 2010

Back into the Swing of Things

Feeling a lot more pulled together this week. Sorry again for the little hiatus. This weekend ended up being incredibly busy. My sister was in town, and she and her husband stayed with us Saturday night. All of Saturday and half of Sunday was spent doing things with and for family, leaving very little time for sewing. I was so happy to have her here...

However, I did finish piecing the top of a chemo quilt for the cancer patient I wrote about on Friday. The quilt making has been extremely therapeutic. I still need to piece the back. Both front and back are made of flannel. This will be the first piece I quilt on my new mid-arm quilter!

Yes, you read that right. I ordered a mid-arm quilter yesterday complete with a table. The table is from Grace Frame and is called the mini pini. Holding up to a queen-sized quilt, the table adjusts so it does not always have to be in the longest position. This is good because honestly we're not entirely sure where in our house this is going to fit. We need to do some serious consolidation in my studio/home office.

The quilting machine I got is the Brother PQ-1500-S. Basically, what will happen is the machine will sit on a tram attached to the table and will be movable by the handles you see above.

The whole system was a $1400 investment. This is MUCH more affordable and economical compared to the $7000+ systems I thought I'd have to buck up for.

So, the goal over the next several months is to practice, practice, practice and get good enough that I can offer my services - at least for free motion quilting if not for custom designs. I also have a friend who may be interested in doing this little side business with me as well. Will keep you up-to-date with the latest developments there.

On the podcasting front, I did not get anything recorded yesterday although I did download a bunch of software. I'm having problems getting my Mac to recognize the mic input I want it to. On Allison's (from Within a Quarter Inch) recommendation, I'm trying out Audacity to record and edit. Just need a little more time to work out the kinks. The first show is outlined, and I'm so excited to get started.

Okay, that's it for today. Talk to you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment