Friday, February 26, 2010

Breaking Form

Hi. I'm going to break form from Fabric Friday here because it's been over a week since I've blogged when typically a post goes up daily during the week. We are in the midst of a family medical situation that sort of took the blogging mo-jo out of me. Even this post feels like a slog...

Getting into the details of the medial situation would be inappropriate in this forum. What I can is that I'm okay as are my daughter and husband. The person affected, a blood relative within my immediate family, has Hodgkin's lymphoma. We found out last weekend... The diagnosis was sudden and very unexpected. This whole week my mind has never been far from those directly impacted.

There's a Mat Kearney song called Closer to Love where he sings, "I guess we're all one phone call from our knees." This is how I have felt over the last several days. One phone call, one moment changed everything...

The positives - the silver lining - are there and surprisingly not difficult to see. The outpouring of affection and concern from the community has overwhelmed my family. The goodness in people as they circle the wagons around my family has been awesome to see.

Personally, my outlook completely changed, and I took action to do some things this week I've been just talking about lately.

First, I signed up for ballet lessons. It's been 10 years since my last class, but I've always wanted to go back. What better time than now? I start next Wednesday. Buying my shoes tomorrow.

Then, I have seriously started the process for creating my own podcast. This has been a goal of mine for over a year but I kept delaying because I was afraid I wouldn't know how to use use the software or that no one would like me. Now, neither of those concern me. I will post my first on Sunday.

Finally, I have talked about buying a long-arm machine since I realized my $200 Singer does not like to stipple. With my husbands help, we've found an affordable option that will allow me to not only quilt my own projects but open a little side business to quilt others' as well. Owning my own business has always been something I've wanted to do. Now I'm taking actionable steps to get there.

It's unfortunate that we need tragedies to bring out the good in us and force us to spring into action - to help us get unstuck. The reminder that life is short and seizing the day, cliched as they may be, are never more clear than when faced with the unimaginable.

Sorry for the heavy post. I'll keep you updated on the podcast and long arm situations. I'm excited to begin these new adventures and for the community that may be created at this very site because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment