Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Portable Knitting Project Bag

This weekend, I whipped up a new portable knitting project bag. Tired of hauling my huge knitting bag full of - ahem- a lot of UFOs, I decided a solo pattern tote was in order.

Using this tutorial from Purl Bee, one of my favorite blogs (they have a TON of tutorial ideas for sewing and knitting), I started with 1/2 yard of Amy Butler LOVE fabric. Yummy!


Following the clearly written instructions, I seamed and serged (not called for but I did it successfully).



Playing with my new toy, serging added a nice clean finish to the seams. No worrying the fabric will unravel and tangle with yarn.



Gussets were added to give the bag a flat bottom. They were fairly easy to figure out once I worked through the brainteaser of which direction they are supposed to go.



Feeding the ribbon through the casing was easy-peasy using a safety pin. I used 3/8" red grossgrain ribbon - love the aqua and red together.


About 1/2 hour of work - voila!



There are so many possibilities for modifications of this base pattern. You could add hexagon motif to one side. Or you could appliqué an embroidery to it - I'm loving these patterns by Aneela Hoey of Comfort Stitching. (She is also the designer behind the highly anticipated fabric line Sherbet Pips.)

I'm looking forward to giving this portable knitting project bag a spin this week, and I can see making more of these in the future for gift bags and additional project bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment